Monthly Mingle: South Africa BBQ Ribs


This is my contribution to Monthly Mingle, themed South Africa, a monthly event organized by Meeta of What's For Lunch Honey? This is the same recipe that I have used adapted from Falling Cloudberries by Tessa Kiros. You probably would know by now, I am crazy over Tessa and have all her cookbooks as collections. This migh not be very South African to those who are not living there, neither do I personaly think this is very authentic of South Africa but when I hear what Tessa has to say, it just blow my mind away! Here's what Tessa said about these wonderful ribs:

These are those wonderful sweet ribs that you find at the steak houses in South Africa. They bring you just a great big rack of spare ribs and perhaps some garlic bread and you eat with your fingers. I love making this type of thing from time to time. These need a bit of marinating beforehand.


I've made it once here but this time around, I tweaked the method of cooking and added a dash of this and that. I serve it up with seasoned steamed vegetables and a simple parsley mash. I've wrote down the tweaked recipe here and I like this one much better. It falls off bone, not tough at al l and very tender and juicy.


South Africa BBQ Ribs
(serves 4 as main meal)

50 g butter
2 tbsp EVOO
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced smallish
250ml (1 cup) tomato ketchup
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 tbsp (1/4 cup) brown sugar
80 ml (1/3 cup) lemon juice
80 ml (1/3 cup) runny honey
1 tsp fine seasalt
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp ground chili powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1.5 kg baby-back pork ribs, halved horizontally if large

Heat the butter and EVOO in a wide non-stick saucepan and saute the onion over gentle heat until softened but not browned. Add in the minced garlic and saute a minute. Add the rest of the ingredients except the ribs and 1 cup (250ml) of water to the pan and simmer for 10mins until the sauce has thickened. Immerse a stick blender in it and puree it to a fine sauce. Oh my gosh....absolutely love the wonderful zingy aroma from this. Homemade BBQ sauce, beat that!

Put the ribs in with the sauce and add enough water to completely cover the ribs. Crank up the heat and when it is boiling, turn down the heat to a low simmer, cover with a heavy glass lid and simmer it or rather, braise it for 90 minutes until it is tender when poked with a fork.

Uncover and reduce sauce until it is just coating the meat and probably a little extra for you to baste it later and use as sauce for dipping. Place the ribs in a large ovenproof dish and place them under a hot griller for 10 mins or so, basting often until just slightly charred here and there and that the ribs holds its shape and didn't fall apart.

Reduce the sauce in pan and serve along the ribs, a simple steamed vegetable and mashed potato. Enjoy with your hands and a large napkin.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

MeetaK said...

simply gorgeous. i love bbq but i have to say i love South African braai best of all- So mayn flavors and delicious aromas. A lovely entry for the Monthly Mingle!

Anncoo said...

These ribs look perfect too! Sounds good and flavorful.

The Food Addicts said...

These look finger licking good!

Marisa said...

These look like the perfect blend of sweet & spicy, just how we South Africans like it! And while I wouldn't call it a traditional SA dish, it is definitely very popular at our local steakhouses (esp Spur). If you see someone in the Spur with an oily face and a big grin, you can know they've just devoured a rack of ribs!

Casey Angelova said...

These look great. I love messy tender ribs that fall apart in your mouth.
My blog celebrated Africa Day with a collection of recipes from across the continent. I would love your thoughts. http://www.caseyangelova.com/2010/05/lets-celebrate-africa-day-2010.html

Cass said...

I made these last night and they were delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

Quinn said...

Thanks everyone! My partner and I, we could both easily finish 1kg of ribs ourselves! They are sticky and messy and everytime I eat it, I have sticky sauces all over my mouth right to my ear but no, I couldn't care and bother and just keep sucking on them like a child. I think ribs can sometimes make everyone go crazy, they're to die for!

Related Posts with Thumbnails