Son-In-Law Eggs



Here is another way to cook eggs. Easter is just around the corner. If you haven't tried Chinese Tea Eggs, consider making these Asian-Inspired eggs for Easter because they are way easier. And you cannot believe how yummy they were!

Thai dish, so beautifully known as son-in-law eggs or you want more complicated, Khai Luuk Kheuy. According to a Thai friend of mine, this is usually served as entree or appetizer in Thailand. Noppanat also says Khai means egg and Luuk Kheuy means son-in-law.


You can read a real good detailed history of these eggs here by Ellie of Almost Bourdain. I however used the recipe I adapted from Ju of The Little Teochew, which she nicely adapted from Simple Chinese.

Khai Luuk Kheuy

3 hard boiled eggs
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp palm sugar
2 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp chicken stock

Combine all the above except the eggs in a small pan and bring to boil. Cook it a while until it thickens and remove from heat. Cool it down a bit. This would be your sauce to pair with your eggs.

Garnish:

Deep fried red chilies (I just use raw ones)
Deep fried shallots (I use readymade ones)
Coriander leaves

Unlike the Chinese Tea Eggs, you need to remove the shells of the eggs to make these. If you don't know how to make hard boiled eggs, refer to the Chinese Tea Eggs. Once you have remove the shells for all the eggs,deep fry them in hot oil until the outer of the skin crisp up and is a beautiful golden hue. Use low heat and keep tossing the pan to turn the eggs around, they will cook up beautifully this way. Drain them on paper towel and cool lightly. Cut them in half and place them on serving spoon or plate. Drizzle them with the sauce and garnish them with the red chillies, fried shallots and a hint of coriander.

Now, is that is not beautiful and easy, what is? I'll make Aaron cook this dish for mum next time if I ever make him my husband!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

MaryMoh said...

Haha.....I must make sure I know how to make these. I have 2 daughters. I have to learn, right? :D

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Brilliant idea to serve them in soup spoons!! Not only do they look elegant, it's also easier to eat them ... slurp! :) Fantastic photos, Quinn. Thank you for the mention too!

Kitchen Corner said...

wow.. I like the presentation! It looks so appetizing. This can be served in a cocktail party!! Very special!

Anncoo said...

This is very beautifully done and love the presentation.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Did you just changed the look of your blog? Looks really nice! The eggs look delicious. You've just inspired me to consider cooking some egg dish for Easter... :)

Ann said...

i never tried this before and i love eggs!


this will be nice for Friday

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

They look yummy, Quinn! Thanks for the info, too!

Hey, Aaron should perhaps cook up something for you and auntie even before getting married! You deserve a break! LOL!

Elin said...

Quinn, nicely taken pics especially the last one :)) Thumbs up for this egg recipe. I can imagine how nice they will taste ...mmmm :p I love eggs but have to control my intake...artery clogging :)) Thanks for sharing the recipe. Simple yet yummy.

Quinn said...

Mary: My mum have 3 daughters, she should learn too!

Ju: Thanks for the awesome and simple recipe. They make very good appetizer you know really!

Grace: Yeap, I'll be making these again for my Easter party. Just so convenient. Don't use large eggs, use small ones or even quails eggs. Cute for serving!

Shirley: If you notice, you're on CookingQuinn now. I have two other blogs, BakingQuinn and PerfectScoops and they all have different layout, cheers!

Anncoo & Shirley & Ann: Thanks and make some for an Asian inspired Easter!

Pei-Lin: Yeah I thought so too. When I googled, some says MIL cooks this for SIL and some says vice versa. I gotta make Aaron cook this for more to impress, earn him a little brownie points!

Elin: Thanks! Egg is artery clogging? What about fried food and cheese????

tigerfish said...

The garnishes (shallots and chili) definitely kick this up TWO notches! ;D

Quinn said...

Yeap, it's all the garnishes that completes it all and makes it taste that little bit better!

Related Posts with Thumbnails