Nigerian Suya


This is what I cooked for Eghosa the last time he came to my house. I promised him something Nigerian so this is it. It's basically marinaded meat threaded on wooden skewers and grilled to perfection.

In Malaysia, we have Satays. In Middle East, they have Kebabs. In Nigeria, they have Suya. The characteristic of Suya is that the marinade includes a must have ingredient, Kuli Kuli Powder. It is at its core, grounded peanut powder, minus the fact that it is stripped off excess oil.

Suya is sold widely in Nigeria. Beef is usually used but I've used chicken here. Suya is served wrapped in foodgrade plastic and newspaper, served alongside raw onions and tomatoes. I'm not a fan of raw onions so I mellow the taste by soaking it in water for 5 minutes or so. I also tossed the diced tomatoes with finely chopped coriander just for more vibrant colour.


Nigerian Suya
(makes a dozen stick)
loosely adapted from WikiHow

Either soak the wooden skewers in water for 30mins or wrap the ends in aluminium foil.

1/2 cup of roasted peanuts, grounded and placed between sheets of absorbent kitchen paper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp red paprika
1 tsp seasoned mixed salt
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2-3 large chicken thigh fillets, cubed into 1-inch pieces or smaller

Marinade the meat with all the ingredients except the peanut powder. Let it sit overnight in the fridge, covered to let flavour infuse, tossing it around every now and then. Upon serving, have ready the wooden skewers and peanut powder. Toss the chicken meat in the peanut powder, coating them evenly. Thread them on the skewer and grill or BBQ them until the chicken meat is done, approximately 10-12 mins.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Oh my ... they ARE grilled to perfection! Look at the yummy charred bits. Restaurant quality presentation, my dear.

Bits of Taste said...

Wow! This is great, like those Malaysian satay! My hubby love grilled food in skewers! I think I should make this one day!

tigerfish said...

I agree...they are like huge satay and smaller kebabs.

Lady Ren said...

Hello- Lovely blog- The food you make is right up our alley (and your name is special in our house too).
Nice to meet you, Ren

Christine@Christine's Recipes said...

The Nigerian Suya looks like Malaysian satay chicken. I haven't tried it before, yet it should be very delicious coz I love roasted peanuts very much.

Quinn said...

Ju: Thanks, the griller was pretty good eh? And Eghosa sais just that, they look like hotel served Suya in Nigeria, he laughed but claimed it was delicious!

B-O-T: Thank you for dropping by and yeah, this is very much like Malaysian Satay but different marinade though.

Tigerfish: Yeah, kind of...you can say so. They're not that big in reality, just big in picture...

Lady Ren: Very nice to meet you too Lady Ren and thank you so much....I am glad my blog inspired and helped you somewhat...

Christine: Yeap, its like eating Malaysian Satay minus the dipping sauce since the peanut is roasted and incorporated into the meat as well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails