Chinese Tea Eggs


I have been so so busy lately and strongly believe I will get more busy as time goes by now that I am no longer a student. I will still post but it will be more about the recipe, short and crisp.


Perhaps some of you might like that better too in fact. I made these some time back. Aaron likes it. It was very flavourful and the picture you see there, I did not even allow it to soak overnight in the tea brine solution. Couldn't wait to eat.

Here's the recipe that I have used. It's given to me by my aunt, roughly. Feel free to add or reduce the soya sauce to your liking. Some are salty and some are not so. I use a sweet based dark soya sauce.

Chinese Tea Eggs
(makes 6 to a dozen)

Bring at least 6 eggs to as much eggs as your pot can fit in a single layer. Pour water in until it just covers the eggs. Bring it to boil. When it starts boiling, let it boil for a minute or 2 and turn heat off. Remove the eggs from the pot and throw them in ice water bath to cool them down. Retain the hot water.

When the eggs are cooled to handle, do not peel them. Crack them on the table. In fact, the more you crack, the better marbling effect you get and the better the eggs will be infused with the tea flavour.

Add the following to th pot of hot water:

6 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tbsp dark sweet soya sauce
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp loose black tea leaves
3 pieces of whole star anise
1 long cinnamon stick, broken into two
8 blackpeppercorns, left whole
a long strip of dried mandarin orange peel from one mandarin orange

Bring to boil again and when boiling, return all the cracked eggs to the pot, cover with a heavy lid. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 2 hours, making sure the simmering liquid covers the eggs, else add water to top it up as soon as it's not completely covering the eggs.

Turn off heat, cool it down completely and let it sit overnight for best result in terms of pattern and taste. Eat it the next day.


This is so yummy. If you can find mandarin orange in your place, retain the skin and dry them. Use them for this. They are so flavourful and the dried peels also taste very good in red bean soup. Not sure if any of you have tried it before though, I grew up with sweet red bean soup boiled with dried mandarin orange peel.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

pegasuslegend said...

these are gorgeous!~ Kuddo's to your aunt and thanks for sharing just in time for EASTER~

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Oh Quinn, good to see you back! How are things? I am guessing you ar eback in Oz? Hope things will be smooth-sailing in whatever you choose to do. The eggs look absolutely darling!

your deliciously said...

Hi Quinn, These are really lovely and I normally dip it with a little bit of light soy sauce. Love the design on the plate!

tigerfish said...

The orange peels must be adding a hint of citrus to these tea eggs. :D

Quinn said...

pegasuslegend: You're welcome and now, why didn't I thought of that? This fits perfectly for an Asian-inspired Easter theme!

Ju: Thank you Ju, and yeap, I'm back in Adelaide and hopefully, I get to stay here long enough before I need to travel again. Things will be fine, I'm very postive and thank you, the eggs are yummy aren't they?

Yours deliciously: Love that name! Got that plate for 5bucks during boxing day from Harris Scarfe. Guess what, I soak the yolk with the brine solution. It's actually pretty flavourful and not too salty you know....

Tigerfish: Yeap, it does, but not too strong actually, just like how it would taste in red bean soup with mandarin peels.

Kitchen Corner said...

My dad make this quite often and very nice too! So, I never think of making it myself. Yours looks perfectly cook and inspiring me to make it myself too! Cheers!

Christine said...

aw, the tea eggs are beauty~
I haven't made tea eggs for a long time, should cook some later.

Anncoo said...

I love tea eggs, I had this alot when I was in Taiwan. Your recipe looks simple to follow,let me make a copy of it.

Quinn said...

Grace: Thanks for dropping by. If your dad can make these, I'ms ure it'll be easy job for you!

Christine: Yes you should, they are so yummy and never seem to last long with me keep going into the kitchen for food!

Anncoo: I really think this is a Taiwan thing. Taiwan stuffs have been a hit in Malaysia as of late, I'm sure it's the same in Singapore too! Try it!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Tea eggs are one of my faves growing up! Speaking of which, I haven't tried making it ... Maybe I should soon ... I'll try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Anh said...

I remember making these eggs once and my Vietnamese grandmother complained that I was wasting so much energy :D. Love the marble look of them, though.

Quinn said...

Pei-Lin: You should make this, still in time for Easter. They are so yummy. You can try adding in pieces of Danggui as well to enhance the taste!

Anh: How is this wasting energy??? here in Adelaide, you cannot buy them even if you have the money you know...I appreciate things like that a lot. I love the marble effect too and it took me a while to have the heart to eat them.

noobcook said...

I just made them recently too. love the beautiful marbling on your eggs. like you, I couldn't wait to eat them hehe

Quinn said...

Yeap, saw your wonderful post and I'm weird, I serve them back with the liquid I braised them in instead of soy sauce!

Related Posts with Thumbnails