Braised Chicken with Potatoes and Soy Bean Paste

These are what I grew up with. I ate these for lunch almost every week, without fail. If you add in more shallots, a couple of Shiitake mushrooms and a dash of palm sugar, congratulations my dear because you have just cook up a Nyonya Delicacy called Chicken Pong Teh. I personally like Pong Teh with pork belly. Really gotta cook that some time...more on that later.

I cook these with soy bean paste. It's brown, very salty and known as Taucheo to me. I don't know what you call them in English but if you go to any Asian groceries and tell them you want soy bean paste, this is it.


Braised Chicken with Potatoes and Soy Bean Paste

(serves 2-3)


2 whole chicken marylands, chopped into smaller pieces

2 tbsp EVOO

4 to 5 cloves of garlic, finely minced

Large thumb size piece of old ginger, peeled and crushed well into paste

1 tbsp heaped Taucheo or soy bean paste

3 cups of water or more

3 potatoes, peeled and cubed to bite size

1 tbsp or to taste of light soy sauce

Dash of kecap manis or dark soy sauce


Heat up the oil until it is hot and add in the garlic and ginger. Saute until golden brown and fragrant and add in the Taucheo. Stir continuously to mix well until 'pecah minyak' or when oil separates from the mixture and rises to the surface. Add in the chicken pieces and brown lightly. Add in water, potato cubes, soy sauces and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil and let it simmer on low until chickens are cooked and potatoes are soft tender. Remove any fat and scum along the way.


Dish up and serve with hot steamed rice.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Anncoo said...

Hehee...this is what I used to cook at home. Very delicious and can eat extra bowl of rice.

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Elin said...

This is a great nyonya dish . I used to cook this when the Piggies were younger :) And coming from you...mmmm you are a great cook besides baking :))

Can't wait to meet up with you and the rest :)

Quinn said...

Anncoo: Yeap, I believe every house will cook this dish. It's common in my home!

Elin: I'm not much of a cook myself really Elin, but you are! Don't deny! I am very eager to see you ladies too!!!!

Aux délices des gourmets said...

tous ça m'a l'air délicieux et très tentant
bonne soirée

yours deliciously said...

Oh, this is just lovely especially with rice.

tigerfish said...

Oh, this must be so appetizing with steamed rice. I'm drooling...

Alisa said...

So excited to make this! Ive been going through your different blogs and I am so hooked!Really love it!

Quinn said...

Yours deliciously & Tigerfish: Thanks! I can down a good bowl of rice with this alone!

Alisa: Thanks and I'm glad you find something helpful within my humble eateries. Good day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails