Roasted Honey Chicken Wings with Baby Spinach, Orange and Pomegranate


I thought I would be dead busy but hey no, because I planned my menu for two Christmas dinners carefully and spread out my shopping list, I have time to cook things off my long to-do-list!


I have wanted to make this Roasted Honey Chicken Wings from Gertrude of My Kitchen Snippets for ages! She not only coo and bake well, she takes beautiful and stunning shots too! I am so lucky to be Down Under now where it is so sunny and I can play around with my food and shots though it is already 8pm! No, we usually have earlier dinner but today, we both had late lunch, hence late dinner.

I was trying to use the 'line' element taught by Neel of Learn Food Photography. But I somehow think the pomegranate seeds are covering the orange segments so I ended up scattering them up like this:

I think it looks more pleasing to the eye now and I could see the colours are more vibrant now. Erm, Neel, care to comment and correct me? Thanking you in advance! Angle is something I could never seem to get right. Up till now, I still can't seem to choose the best picture out of all here because different angles make them look differently. Oppss....I'm drifting! Sorrry, back to the chicken. It was flavourful and yummy. I like how the baby spinach, orange segments and pomegranate seeds completed the dish. It was like eating a healthy no-dressing fruity salad with honey wings.

Will I make this again? Hell yeah.....Thanks Gertrude for coming up with wonderful combinations for chicken wings. There is something ever so magical about wings. They always disappear very quickly on my table! And because we are high on carb and Aaron must have his daily rice intake, I serve this along a very simple butter rice. That's gonna be my next upcoming post!

Roasted Honey Chicken Wings with Baby Spinach, Orange and Pomegranate
(adapted form My Kitchen Snippets with modifications)

6 pieces of chicken wings, cleaned and pat dry
1 clove garlic, passed through a garlic presser or minced finely
1/2 tsp chili powder
Sea salt to taste
1.5 tbsp soy sauce
Dash of pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
Splash of POM juice
Zest of half an orange
1.5 tbsp honey

Garnish:
Generous handful of baby spinach
Orange segments
Pomegranate seeds

Whisk all the ingredients together except for the wings until well combined. Coat the wings with the marinade mixture. Massaged the marinade into the chicken for 5 minutes or so and let it marinade at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking them. Roast them in a preheated oven of 200°C for 40 minutes, flipping and basting them often with the marinade until they are golden brown. Serve this over a bed of baby spinach with orange segments and pomegranate seeds.

An butter rice of course, if you are a Carb freak!

(makes 6 chicken wings and serves 2)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Chocolate Shavings said...

That's a perfect festive main dish!

Quinn said...

Thanks Jenn! Merry Christmas!

Dodol & Mochi said...

Looks so good! Wish I was one of the eaters at your place, LOL!!

Merry X'mas & Happy 2010!

Pei-Lin

Neel | Learn Food Photography said...

Quinn,

You are moving in the right direction. And as we talked about in the first post of Complete Guide to Food Photography series, food photography is complex.

Congratulations on conquering the first step. The first step towards improvement is to try :). I find food photography challenging everyday, and I think understanding the process of food photography has helped me a lot. If you haven't had a change, I would recommend the Complete Guide to Food Photography Series.

Happy Holidays!!

Neel

Anncoo said...

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year ;D

Kitchen Corner said...

The chicken wings look owesome! Nicely presented and definately Delicious! I wonder how you bake it so evenly coloured. Perfect! You have wonderful Christmas and happy new year!

zurin said...

Oh Quinn you wld make such a good wife n mother!!!! LOL I dont know how u manage to keep 3 blogs at the same time...n ur studying too! the chicken looks os yummy n beautifully photographed! I like the little red pomegranate seeds . they add such prettiness!

pigpigscorner said...

They look so deilcious! Love the glaze and beautiful presentation.

yours deliciously said...

It looks so pretty and roasted chicken wings..just yummy!

ICook4Fun said...

Your chicken wings turn out beautifully. Nice even color :) Happy New Year to you!!

Quinn said...

Pei Lin, I really will cook for you if you were one of my guest. I just enjoy serving people and see them brimming with smile really!

Thanks Neel for commenting and dropping by. Yeah, I reckon I do take on advices here and there and come up with something of my own so that's improvement yeah!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Anncoo!

Grace, trust me, my oven never come out with good looking roast. You have no idea how many times I turn it and flip it and baste it really! And I prop them up on a metal skewer, like rotisserie so they are even coloured on all sides.

Zu: Quinn is blushing....Aaron better see this! I'm no longer studying now but busy looking for jobs! And I don't update all blogs frequently so I guess I can juggle somewhat, thanks anyway!!! I reckon the pom seeds added a touch of Christmas to it!

Thanks Pigspigscorner! We love the wings very much too!

Yours deliciously, tahnk you. They taste as good as they look!

Gertrude, thank you. Happy New Year to you and thanks for the wonderful recipe!

kitchenella said...

I based a recipe on this one and it was delicious! I even blogged about it! Thanks for the inspiration.

Related Posts with Thumbnails