Chicken Drumsticks with Orange-Tomato Glaze

This is Alan's recipe, Tess's friend. She trusted him completely with food and wine and according to Alan, this recipe is beautiful with pork, especially the part that benefit from a long cooking time.

I trusted Tessa Kiros.

This orange-tomato glaze is so good!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe simple ingredients and cooking steps can produce such fall-off bone meat. Just look at that sheen, that glaze that adorns the drumsticks.


Apples for Jam is so good that I've been using it over and over again to cook. Tessa can never stop amazing me wiht so many different varieties. I don't think I'll ever be sick of all her cookbooks. Nay, not anytime soon. Aye, recipe is as below and slightly modified by me.

Chicken Drumsticks with Orange-Tomato Glaze

5 to 6 large chicken drumsticks
5 tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Place all the above in a pan except for the chicken and bring to boil. While that is happening, preheat oven to 165°C and line a roasting pan just large enough to fit all the chicken pieces with foil. Spread the chicken drumsticks on a single layer. When the sauce is boiling and all sugar has dissolved, simmer for 5 minutes and pour over the chicken.

Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, basting and turning the pieces every now and then until teh chicken is crispy and sticky and sauce is a thick sticky glaze. Serve warm or even at room temperature.


Done!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Anncoo said...

Oh..this is lovely. Look at the sticky glaze makes mouth watering. Will add this in my to do list~~I'm sure the kids will love this.

tracieMoo said...

these drumsticks look so mouth watering. I would love to try this during weekends. a very good treat!

pigpigscorner said...

The glaze looks gorgeous!

Quinn said...

Anncoo: Yeah, there wasn't muh gravy but the glaze is just making me drool too when I was snapping away!

Tracie: Yeah, when I first pour the liquid into the pan, I thought hang on...why is there so much liquid and when I compare it to the one in the book, theirs look shiny and glazed, totally different from mine. However, I proceed and baste it from time to time and miracle happens! You just see the liquid reduced every 30mins when you open the oven to check on it!!!

Pigpigscorner: Thanks!

Patricia said...

Just tried this recipe. Gotta say I was skeptical about cooking the chicken uncovered for 2 1/2 hrs but it came out really well. The only thing I did differently was add some garlic and pepper to the sauce. The chicken wasn't dry at all and the sauce was thick and yummy. I loved it. Will definitely be adding this to the regular rotation.

Quinn said...

Patricia,

I was like you too very skeptical when I started off. It looks like a puddle to me and not coating the chicken at all. Little did I knwo that 2.5 hours baking turned the glaze to a caramelized sauce and coated the chicken drumsticks so well and the chicken literally fall off the bones! I added cayenne pepper because this household only likes spicy stuffs and yeah, versatile and yummy! I'm glad you like Tessa's recipe. She is pretty amazing, both her and her cookbooks!

Anonymous said...

You think I can cut down on the brown sugar by half? Just wondering cause it looks like 5 tbsp might be too sweet for me and will make me bounce off the walls.

It looks so divine!

Quinn said...

I tried using 3 tbsp instead of 5 tbsp before and added a touch of chipotle. It was fine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails