Soto Ayam


Made these really delicious Soto Ayam again and manage to snap some shots. Thought I'd share with you guys just in case you people don't know Salt and Turmeric yet. She guest blogged over at Rasa Malaysia and shared with many a to-die-for Soto Ayam.

Aaron and me, we both love it so much and we had it for lunch and dinner for today. I like eating this with nasi himpit actually but the first time round, I made that, I could see my picky pie prefers vermicelli. So this time, we had it with vermicelli again.

We had lotsa chicken bones left from crabbing. Yes, we're only allowed to use chicken bones as baits for crabbing and nothing else to be fair to everyone! I throw in a couple of boneless chicken thighs and 1-2 large chicken carcasses. I simmer that a while before adding in the sauteed ingredients.


Salt and Turmeric, if you are reading this, I'm sorry but you lied. You said your recipe serves 8-10 but in actual fact, it only serves 4! The two of us finished it for lunch and dinner today. And it's been rather gloomy with constant shower here in Adelaide today so this one was the real deal of what I would reckon as comfort food so thanks again!


Soto Ayam
(translated to chicken noodle soup in Indonesian Malay)
(adapted from Rasa Malaysia with modifications by me)

Ingredients:

2 whole chicken bones
3 boneless chicken thighs
7 cups of water

Bring the above to boil and skim off as much fats and scums as possible. Cover and let it simmer while you proceed to prepare other ingredients.

2 big red onions
5 cloves garlic
2'' ginger, peeled

Blend the peeled red onions, garlic and ginger until you get a fine puree.

Combine the following in a small plate:

4-spices (1 star anise seed, 3 cloves, 3 cardamon & 1-inch cinnamon stick)


1/2 cup coconut cream
Salt and sugar to taste

Garnish:

Blanched vermicelli
Blanched beansprouts
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced into half each
Fried shallots
Finely chopped spring onions
Finely chopped bird's eye chili

In a large pan, heat up 3 tbsp oil until smoky and add the 4-spices until fragrant. Add in the blended ingredients and stir continuosly until fragrant. Pour everything into the big pot with chicken bones and chicken meat. Bring to boil and let it simmer, covered for approximately 30 minutes.

After 3omins, fish out the chicken meat and bones and let them cool enough for your hands to handle. Add coconut cream into the pot together with salt and sugar to taste. In the meantime, shred the meat of the chicken bones and use two forks to throughly shred the meat off the chicken thighs. Return them back into the pot together with the bones. Let it boil for another 15-20min.

Now, prepare your garnish and base. Divide the blanched vermiceli evenly into four large bowls and top with blanched beansprouts and hard boiled eggs. Top with ladleful of the hot soup with chicken meat among the 4 bowls. Garnish with fried shallots, chopped chili and spring onions.

Tuck in and enjoy the bowl of comforting chicken noodle soup!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anncoo said...

I really love Soto Ayam. It is a must eat when I passed by the Malay store. I would like to make this for my family gathering day.

Quinn said...

Yes Anncoo, I'm with you. Soto Ayam is simply delicious. I always buy them when I was in Malaysia. Never had it cross my mind it is actually dead simple!

Salt N Turmeric said...

Hehe. You're so funny Quinn. I tend to eat a lot of soto ayam when i made them too. Im not sure why the link doesn't work. Maybe have to give it a few more days.

I have another link for soto where I really measured everything since all my friends were not sure about guesstimate. lol. Here is the link http://www.saltnturmeric.com/2008/11/eid-open-house-menu-4-chicken-soto-soto_04.html.

Since you like nasi impit, you can do wht i always do, add both to your bowl! ;)

p.s. You have 3 blogs about cooking alone! I can't even manage 1 cooking blog. lol.

Quinn said...

Thanks Salt N Turmeric! I love soto and yours is truly easy peasy, delicious and flavourful. I'll not bother going searching for others, let it be whether yours are authentic or not! I manage 3 blogs slowly....I don't blog all at once! I'm on holiday now so I could afford to do that as of now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails