Seafood Penne in Rose Sauce

Rose (pronounced rho-zhe) sauce is something new to me and my love-hate relationship with tomato is about to end. I used to like Carbonara a lot until I found this beautiful orangey, pinky Rose sauce. This is not as filling as Carbonara and is equally yummy.

In fact, I think this is a lot healthier compared to Carbonara. This is my first time making a complete stir fry myself and I have to admit it is not that terrifying after all, apart from the few splatters of garlic on my hand which felt a little uncomfortable. I have adapted the sauce from Tessa Kiros's book, 'Apples for Jam' and greatly modified it to suit my liking.


Seafood Rose
(serves 1 big eater)

The following seafood ingredients could be modified to suit your taste:

8 uncooked prawns, shelled, peeled with tail intact (about 150g)
1 small fresh fish fillet (about 100g), sliced thinly
3 to 5 medium size frozen clams


Rose Sauce:

20g butter
1/2 cup of diced canned tomato, pureed
125g penne pr any other pasta
1 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced finely
1 tbsp dry white wine, brandy or Calvados
1 heaped tbsp cream
1 tsp dried parsley
Dash of salt and pepper


Melt half the butter in a smallish pan and when it starts to sizzle, add in the tomato puree. Season it with salt and pepper and a good dash of dried oregano. Cook over medium heat for about 10 mins until it is thick and reduced.

In another pot, cook the pasta in boiling salted water, according to the packet instructions. Multi-tasking, heat another non-stick pan with enough capacity to accommodate the tomato puree and all the pasta. When the pan is hot, add in the olive oil and remaining butter. When it is sizzling, add the prawns, fish and garlic. Over the highest heat possible, cook the prawns and fish until they are bright, crusty and golden in places. Toss and turn them often and when they are cooked, scatter them with salt. Add the white wine and cook until it evaporates.

Drain the penne, retaining the water. Add the tomato puree and cream into the pan and heat until just bubbling. Add the pasta and toss to coat well. If it seems like you need it, add a little of the retained pasta cooking water to help the sauce coat the pasta.

Serve immediately with a grind of pepper and a sprinkle of finely chopped fresh parsley.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anncoo said...

Hi, here I come...Mmm.. all the nice food, must come again. :D

Quinn said...

Thanks Anncoo for visiting!
I really love your blog and do keep posting more recipes for us to share!

Christine said...

I love this dish, looks so delicious.

Quinn said...

Thank you Christine, it is very delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails