Sayur Lodeh

Being a Peranakan, this is one dish I can cook without guidance and recipe. The Malays claim it's theirs but I think this is a truly Nyonya dish, using pounded rempah.


I've jot the recipe down after multiple times of making this according to 'feel' for my future reference.

1/2 head of a small cabbage (I never measure mine and quantity is not a big issue here)
2 carrots
Handful of okra or brinjals

Just use any vegetables you like. Wash them clean and chop them into small chunks and tear the cabbage into pieces.

Pound together: I've cheated and use a food processor here
50g dried shrimps
1 red chili, deseeded
2 dried chillies, soaked till soften, deseeded
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 shallot, peeled
1 lemongrass, use the white prt only, bruise it and chop into smaller pieces.

Dry fry the pounded ingredients until you smell the rempah fills the air.
Add in 2 cups of thin coconut milk and all the vegetables and simmer until vegetables are cook.
Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste and serve hot.

p/s: I always use whatever leftover evaporated milk I have in the fridge and top up with coconut milk to make 2 cups of liquid. I think too much coconut milk is pretty unhealthy. I know, not like evaporated milk is very healthy either but it's healthier than coconut milk in term of cholestrol :)

Happy trying if you ran out of idea to cook or don't know how to handle leftover vegetables!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anncoo said...

WOW..I love this one alot. I don't really know the name of this in Malay as we always call curry mixed vegetables 咖哩杂菜 in Chinese.

Quinn said...

Anncoo,
I can't read chinese but yeah, we call this gulai sayur or sayur lodeh in Malaysia :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails