Braised Pork Ribs

We have had so much western dishes and mashed potatoes for the past few weeks that I guess it's time for me to make something Chinese. Something us. Something that Aaron loves! Anything that can be downed with lotsa rice is what Aaron loves!


These are garlic rice, not plain rice. The mildly scented garlic rice added a nice touch with the braised ribs.


After braising for an hour, the meat was so tender that i practically just falls off bone!

We both love this a lot and polish every single bits!


Very Garlicky rice (serves 2 to 3)

2 to 3 tbsp minced garlic
About 1 to 1.5 cup of uncooked rice, washed well and drained
1 tsp fine sea salt
Enough chicken stock for cooking rice (I happen to have some reserved from poaching a whole chicken!)

Stir fry the minced garlic with enough oil until they're about to turn golden. (I usually peeled 2 whole bulbs of garlic and pulse it in my food processor. They are good to last me for a week or so)

Turn off heat and let it cook itself further with the heat in the oil and pan. This is garlic oil and is good as topping on blanched greens.

Add in salt, rice and toss to coat well.

Transfer them to rice cooker and add enough chicken stock to cook rice like you normally would and let the rice cooker take care of everything from now on!


Braised Pork Ribs (Courtesy of MyHomeKitchen & Y3K, Issue No. 38)

1kg of babyback ribs
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp chili sauce (I use my favourite spicy Sriracha!)
2 tbsp oyster sauce
Generous sprinkling of black pepper
2 tbsp of dark soya sauce
1 tbsp sweet caramel dark soya sauce
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cooking wine

Mix all the above in a large bowl and coat the ribs with the marinade sauce.

Place all in a large resealable bag and leave it in the fridge overnight, giving it a good shake around everytime you couldn't stop yourself from opening the fridge to pop food in your mouth.

Pan fry the ribs for about 10mins or so until they are all brown on both sides.

Transfer them to another large pot and add in:

8 cups of water (yes, you need to use the largest pot you have in your kitchen!)

Bring to boil and lower heat to bring it to gentle boil only and simmer until sauce thickens up significantly.

I usually simmer, covered for an hour and when I check on the meat and they are all tender, I blast the heat to high and boil it uncovered to reduce the sauce further.

Remove them from pot and dish them up on a bed of lettuce and serve them piping hot.


Happy trying!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anncoo said...

After looking at your cooking blog...I would like to say...YOU CAN COOK!! ..HAHA...

Quinn said...

Haha Anncoo,
I'm just alright, stil exploring but I must admit my cooking skill have improved tremedously this year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails