Beggar Chicken


The upcoming posts from these onwards are all done sometime back but I just couldn't find the time to post it. Just in case dad and mum are wondering at the rate I am doing studying and cooking/baking, do I have time to manage both?

The answer is yes I do because you can't say no to good food and nothing satisfy better than making them yourself! I usually do heavy cooking during the weekends. I think it's better than me having to go out and start spending unnecessary money.

This is an example of what I called heavy cooking. This is real heavy. Took me and my other housemate, Monique a good 3 solid hours only on cooking time itself. That is excluding the time taken to marinade the chicken, stir fry the fillings and roll out the dough. Tonnes of work!

I used the recipe given by Baking Mum. She got lots of praises for that. Unfortunately, I couldn't salvage the gravy. To my dismay, much was lost and oozes out half way through baking.

Sigh....I did wrap it with double layer of foils and I couldn't find any lotus leaves so I omitted that. That also it still leaked....


Taste wise was good though. Meat was so tender and fall off the bone. Filling was great too. It's just too bad the gravy is gone.

Funny, I baked according to time given and yet I don't get my flour cast burning like the one in Baking Mum though she baked hers for a much shorter time than mine!


1 whole chicken, about 2kg (I used only 1.2kg chicken)

Marinade the cleaned chicken with : I marinaded for a few hours.

1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp black soya sauce
1 Tbsp shiaoxing wine
2 tsp sesame oil


Stir fry all the below with the seasoning given:

5-6 dried mushroom, soaked till soft and diced thickly
1 large carrot, diced thickly
1 Tablespoon kei chi
5 shallots, sliced thickly
3 garlic, sliced thickly

Seasoning :
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp shiaoxing wine
1/4 tsp salt
dash of dark soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil

Make this dough and wrap the chicken with it:

3 cups plain flour
1 cup coarse salt
1-11/2 cups water (Adjust until you get a non-sticky dough)

STEPS:

Marinade chicken overnight preferably.
Stir fry the filling and cool it before stuffing into chicken.
Secure with a toothpick if necessary.
Wrap chicken with 2 layers of aluminium foil.
Wrap the parcel with the dough and bake in the following sequence:

Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C for 75mins.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 120mins.

Crack open the hardened dough, and serve. Make sure not to lose any of the delicious gravy within the package. The only way I could think of is to really wrap your foil layers properly.
Pinch to seal the dough to ensure no seams are visible so nothing could ooze out.


Serve piping hot!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails