Baked Paper Wrapped Chicken (Chee Pow Kai)


I do cook once in a while when I find some easy to follow recipe. I dunno why, I'm just not talented in cooking. I can never do any stir fry stuff. Even frying an egg could be a problem to me really. I bake pretty alright though :)

This cooking label is dedicated to all the people out there who wants to whip simple dishes to impress families/boyfriend/friends/you name it. They're fail proof and have been tested first hand by me and of course, the many other bloggers out there. I'm just doing the compilation for you guys. I'll keep adding more to the existing label. Not everyone have the luxury of being served good food and don't need to cook right?Glad to say, I'm lucky enough. I won't starve if I dunno how to cook. I have people who cook really good food and they pamper me with it. Ahhhh....such is life!

Anyway, over the holidays, I've discovered I'm not a bad cook after all really. I whipped up pretty good edible dish by steaming or grilling them. My housemates really enjoyed it (provided they're not trying to make me happy by saying it's good la of course, haha!)

I'm gonna start off my cooking label's very first post by posting this very well deserved paper wrapped chicken. I heard it's a Hakka dish, I dunno but all I know is this tasted darn good! Terrific!

Instead of deep frying it, I chose to bake it, an indeed healthier way to do it and eating is less messy too. WARNING: LONG COOKING TIME, REQUIRES 1 HOUR! All I have is time when it comes to good food. Also, I added turmeric powder to it because I'm weird! I like my chee pow kai looking yellowish in colour instead of dark black. I dunno why really.

Too much story telling, here comes the recipe (adapted from Amy Beh and majorly revised by me!):

5 whole chicken drumsticks, skin on, washed and pat dry
5 Shitake mushrooms, soaked till soft, sliced thickly.

Marinade :

  • 4 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp light soy sauce
  • 4 tsp oyster sauce
  • 4 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 large knobs of ginger, finely shredded
  • 2 tsp chicken stock granules
  • 4 tbsp cooking wine
  • 4 tsp cornflour
  • 1 tsp of 5 spice powder
  • 1 tsp of turmeric (optional, can substitute with dark soya sauce)

  • Marinade the chicken drumsticks with all the ingredients listed in a large bowl. Leave it in the fridge overnight.

    The next day upon serving, tear 5 pretty large baking paper sheets enough to fit one chicken drumsticks in each. This is analogous to the size of the newspaper to the used period pad you wanna wrap it in. That kinda size, you know what I mean.

    On each baking paper, drizzle a little sesame oil on it and spread it with spoon.

    Put the chicken skin side down.

    Placed a little of the shredded mushroom at the side of the chicken.

    Drizzle one tablespoon of the marinade liquid over the mushroom/chicken (doesn't matter where you drizzle, all gonna be wrapped up anyway!)

    Then, proceed to wrap it up just like how you wrap your used pad. If still unclear, pretty clear instructions available here by WokkingMum. I don't think there's any point for me repeating it here again.

    After wrapping all the chicken (only 5 drumsticks, easy peasy work!), placed the parcels on a baking tray and bake it in a PREHEATED OVEN AT 170°C FOR 50mins.

    Use a tongs to get them out of the oven and placed it on a serving plate.

    Look really mysterious. Upon unwrapping, stumble upon a big piece golden drumsticks. Better than gold bars!

    Done!

    Stumble Upon Toolbar

    0 comments:

    Related Posts with Thumbnails